dear all,

I take frank's point, and what he is suggesting is entirely rational.  but we cannot assume that his rationality and common sense is shared by university managers.  in the run up to rae 2008, I was approached by more than one research intensive to comment on staff publication profiles, and they were clearly only interested in a minimum of 3* as a basis for submission to the rae.  and we also know that several russell group unis were highly selective in 2008, submitting fewer than 80% of academic staff in order to maximise their gpa.  that process is bound to continue, but with greater stringency than in 2008.

moreover, as we know, given hefce's own rae 2008 statistics, there will have been a large number of colleagues in uk unis producing entirely decent research which was not rated 3*4* - and may even be 'internationally recognised' according to hefce!!  what happens to them in the new funding environment, esp if they are at pre 1992 unis and have a clear contractual duty to produce research?  if they are excluded from ref, will they lose entitlements to research time and research leave?  in other words, I think the implications of hefce's funding decision are potentially quite horrendous.  and all the relevant info re that decision is on the hefce website (in the context of their reponse to the bis letter to them in december 2010).

regards, steve

From: JISCmail German Studies List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frank Finlay [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 March 2011 17:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FW: AGS consultation

Peter, Colleaagues

In relation to the 3* 4* thread: the important distinction is that HEFCE will not fund research rated below this level. That is a different proposition than research only of that level being submitted.

Imagine Dr X with a profile of published 4 outputs rated, respectively 1@ 4* 1@ 3* and  and 2@ 2* or lower.

Were Dr X not to be submitted, the institution would pass on funding for the outputs at 3 and above.

They would also lose Dr X's students, any grant funding and place in any potential impact case study, all of which would feed into the environment and impact scores which make up 45% of the overall submission (score).

They would be plain daft to do so.

That doesn't of course mean that our institutions will be deliberating on what quality thresholds will have to be met to allow for submission.

As last time it is likely to be derived from a grade point average.

In the above example Dr X would have 2.75 GPA. Depending on your institutional policy, that might suffice. Clearly other profiles are possible.

Please take this as a hopefully helpful comment on the practicalities with a view to allaying concerns, not as an apology for the REF or indeed the multipliers which will be applied to divide up the money. HEFCE has already instructed that present funding for 2* will be reduced and redistributed across 3 and 4* for 11/12 and it is my understanding that there will be nothing for 2* thereafter.

As to a boycott, given that the REF is there, in part, as with the RAE before it, to provide public accountability for the tax payer, I am not sure it would be an approach that would be particularly helpful to the cause of ML or Arts and Humanities in these austere times.

Best, Frank

Frank Finlay, Professor of German | Dean of the Faculty of Arts| The University of Leeds, UK | President, Association for German Studies in Great Britain and Ireland