Dear Frank and all

Although retirement next year will save me from the lunacy that is REF,  I can only agree with the criticisms that have been aired. It seems rather curious that German departments seek to emphasise that even their undergraduate courses are taught by staff who are an expert in the particular field,  yet when it is a matter of professional judgments affecting millions of pounds of public money and even – dare one say – the survival or otherwise of some parts of the sector, then suddenly two colleagues are expected to cover the entire discipline.

Regards,  Ian

From: JISCmail German Studies List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carter, Erica
Sent: 02 March 2011 11:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: AGS consultation

Dear Frank,

I agree with Dan that this looks like a very skewed panel. Simply in terms of workload, it is unworkable - there is no way that two people, however committed and knowledgeable, can deal with the volume of material likely to be submitted. And there is of course also an issue of coverage. We will all have personal axes to grind on this question - my own would be the absence of significant representation on German-language film - but that could be dealt with if there was critical mass for German on the panel.

Since there is so much at stake here for the discipline, we surely need to protest as vigorously as possible at this point. I understand that you don't want to add to members' inboxes, but if you're to make representation on our behalf, it would make sense for those of us who want to see the panel changed to add our names to a list. So count me in.

Erica

Professor Erica Carter

Department of German (Incoming HOD)

School of Arts and Humanities