Dear Jean Paul and others,

In the mantle difference in melting temperature is not the source of variations in seismic waves velocity. Variation in Tm is an effect, as variation in seismic velociies, of the Fe-Mg contents of olivine. Olivine reacher in Mg is less dense (with almost similar elastic moduli) and therefore seismic waves propagates faster, and they are also more refractory, as you pointed out. This is, togeter with a lower geotherm, the reason why cratonic domains are characterized by positive velocity anomalies ("blue").

Cheers

Alain

Dr. Alain Vauchez

Géosciences Montpellier
CNRS -Universite de Montpellier II - UMR 5243
Place E. Bataillon - cc 060
34095 - MONTPELLIER cedex 05 - FRANCE
Tel. 33 - (0)467 14 38 95      (0: only from France)
Fax 33 - (0)467 14 36 03
http://www.gm.univ-montp2.fr/PERSO/vauchez/