From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list on behalf of John Whalley
Sent: Sun 27/03/2011 19:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Debate and insults

I must apologise to all remaining list members for having been away from my post when this all began on Friday and so not in a position to take immediate action. I hope that if any of the members who did unsubscribe are your colleagues, you will encourage them to rejoin.

I was able to take action last night and currently Dr Koenemann is a member of the list but is not able to post. He is able to read messages. After his message from a week or so ago, that contained offensive comments concerning other list members, he and I exchanged private emails and a telephone conversation. The result was the posting of his "discourses". My decision to open the list to them, whilst perhaps not universally welcomed was supported by many members both in messages to the list and sent to me privately. I stand by that decision. However, in the light of subsequent events I need to make it clear that the discourses were first sent to me privately before being posted to the list 24 hours later. Thus I maintained a loose editorial oversight. I'm sure I need hardly add, I did not receive any prior notice of the "combined replies" message. However, prior to that message, I had already received discourses 5 and 6 which should have taken care of the weekend, when I was away from email.

It does seem that, in spite of his protestations, debate is not what Dr Koenemann desires. In this instance, as previously, the expression of contrary views results not in discussion but in insults and wildly intemperate language. I do not intend to restore Dr Koenemann's posting rights, he not only overstepped the bounds of reasonable comment as permitted by JISCMail but betrayed the trust that I placed in him. I leave to him the decision as to whether he wishes to remain on the list as a listener.

John Whalley

John S Whalley, Geoscience Programme Manager
List owner - geo-tectonics
  (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/geo-tectonics.html)
Tel +44 23 9284 2247                                Fax +44 23 9284 2244
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, PO1 3QL, UK                Email- [log in to unmask]