Dear Mishkin,

If it is bright white matter that is the problem then it may be
related to something we've seen before - if the CSF is quite
noisy then the CSF Gaussian model tends to have a very
large variance, making it extend into the high intensity
range with a non-negligible probability.  The consequence is
that it can cross over with the white matter Gaussian at the
extremes of the white matter intensity range.  This is obviously
not desirable, but is a consequence of the simple mathematical
model which is at the heart of FAST.  One solution we've got
to work in the past is to increase the number of classes to 4,
which can result in the CSF getting modelled in two classes,
as often there are some very dark portions of the CSF and
some less-dark, and these are more effectively modelled
by two Gaussians, limiting the extent of their reach into the
high intensities.

So try this and let us know how you get on.
As a last resort you can always take the white matter mean
intensity and threshold the "CSF" component to exclude the
brighter voxels, but try the 4-class solution first.

All the best,
	Mark