Von: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [[log in to unmask]] im Auftrag von Michael Harms [[log in to unmask]]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 23. März 2011 18:05
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: [FSL] AW: [FSL] DTI bvecs - dcm2nii vs. mriconvert vs. dtistudio vs. siemens VB15 official tables

Hello Andreas (and any others that want to chime in),

I'd like to revive this thread to ask for clarification on something you
wrote.

You wrote:
"Siemens follows the DICOM conventions, i.e. all data are stored in the
patient coordinate system (as opposed to the magnet's XYZ or the
sequence's PRS). Normally, diffusion gradients are applied in XYZ,
therefore Siemens values from the DICOM header ARE ALREADY rotated
according to the slice angulation."

In particular, my understanding is that the final aspect of that
statement is not correct.  Namely, my understanding is that the DICOM
"patient coordinate system" is a +LPS coordinate system, which is still
aligned with the physical magnet/gradient axes but with axes flipped as
necessary depending on how the patient was registered as laying on the
table (e.g., "head-first-supine" vs. "head-first-prone").  That is, I
would NOT expect the diffusion gradients reported in the DICOMs for
Siemen's VB13-VB17 software to be already rotated for slice angulation
in the case of oblique acquisitions.  (That is not what "patient
coordinate system" implies, again as I understand it).

This is easy enough to test empirically, and indeed when I did that, my
findings were consistent with the reported gradient directions (from the
DiffusionGradientDirection private field entry in the DICOM) NOT being
rotated into the phase-read-slice axes of the imaging grid for an
oblique acquisition, but rather being aligned with the XYZ axes of the
physical magnet/gradient axes.

Best,
-MH