For anyone who's interested in a notion of beauty that goes beyond, as Henry put it, 'the unblemished and immaculate', I suggest the Japanese concept of 'wabi-sabi' - a great little introduction can be found here: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=x67sW5RAUC4C&pg=PA206&lpg=PA206&dq=wabi-sabi+rob+brezsny&source=bl&ots=ZFMMy29IxB&sig=xHiLtWm1VRH_OqIQw2CWd7tVD9s&hl=en&ei=RteFTZr-J4rEvQOL2bG9CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's not so much Lady Gaga's voice that I find beautiful as much as some of the visuals (fashion, music videos, etc) associated with it. Words I would associate with her voice are playful, bold, and a bit rough around the edges. Then there's Robyn, whose visual aesthetic doesn't strike a chord with me, but has a voice so incredibly beautiful that it can move me to tears. (These days she has a habit of putting heart-breaking lyrics to uplifting dance music, which I also find beautiful in its postmodernism!)

Btw, I have noticed that when a reviewer uses the word 'gritty' to describe a film, it's usually in a complimentary review.

Ever fragmented,
Epiphanie