Sent: 18 March 2011 09:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Early release of results to teaching staff

Gillian,

I try to restrict access to the results to a handful of managers at College, who have a difficult job co-ordinating any re-sits or re-takes (esp. for those with UCAS offers to give them the best chance of making the grade, etc.)  … hundreds of students x three subjects to reorganise as well as those who are really upset.

However, it seems that those teachers/lecturers who have to have access to some of the awarding organisations’ on-line systems can get the results anyway.  I think withdrawing (and reinstating these “permissions” the following day) this type of access with the awarding organisations is just too much additional work for my already overworked team and so I send out an e-mail saying that results must not be disclosed to anyone prior to our official embargo deadline.  Some of our staff are Examiners as well so it would not give us 100% coverage anyway.  (NB I am fairly new to this job and so I could be wrong about this, but a lecturer last year knew his results before I had even downloaded them last January).

Just giving out statistics doesn’t work either if there is a small group.

I think Duncan Buck’s helpful response is probably the basis from which you start and then it is down to your College’s interpretation of “need to know”.

Martin Laverick

Head of Division, Examinations Manager

Harlow College, Velizy Avenue, Harlow CM20 3LH

Telephone (01279) 868238