From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Caroline Boulind
Sent: 11 March 2011 09:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: unpublished research - is it ethical

I tend to agree with Patricia on allowing low risk research by students. I'm not sure if medical students may differ a little, becuase like it or not medicine is very much publication driven and medical students and junior doctors have a strong drive to be published in peer reviewed journals. They also tend to do research on the back of existing projects with experienced researchers.
I am doing a research fellowship at the moment, co-ordinating and clinical RCT and as a result of poor teaching on research, which I think is a universal problem in medicine, I have had a very steep learning curve and have essentially had to learn on the job. Allowing medics to gain experience of good research methods at an early stage, whether or not this culminates in peer reviewed publication or not, is a valuable use of time and resources, especially in a low risk environment.

Caroline

Dr. Caroline Boulind
Clinical Research Fellow
01935 384559

>>> Patricia Lucas <[log in to unmask]> 11/03/2011 07:39 >>>

Dear all

I completely disagree with the last writer. Our approach should be proportionate and take a measured approach to thinking about research.

Student research is undertaken the world over with little expectation that the results will reach the publiv domain. The benefit is to the community of researchers or practitioners through the education of the next generation.

This decision should consider the actual risk posed by the research. An awful lot of research poses no geater risk than the time taken to participate. Any research restricted to interviews, questionnaires or case review for example. So we should be comfortable with residents undertaking such low risk research as part of their learning. This balance would change if the risks were greater e.g. If treatment decisions were to be altered.

Best wishes

Patricia