From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rakesh Biswas
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Prioritisation in the NHS

Point 64 in Ash's link perhaps summarizes it all:

"64. The decision maker should first decide whether there is evidence of significant health impairment and evidence of the intervention improving health status."

In this case "
in the view of the Committee, there was no evidence of significant health impairment."

This could raise the query that gender identity disorder GID is perhaps a way of medicalizing a certain mindset/approach to life?

However what happens if there is evidence of significant health impairment ( such as other disorders) and no available RCT evidence of the intervention improving health status?"  Is the patient to blame when there are not enough good quality RCTs ( and consequently non committal systematic reviews) to justify/guide further management?

:-)

PS: I am aware that this is a difficult query and no straight answers (and perhaps not fair of me to pose these uncomfortable questions in front of a predominant audience of systematic reviewers who burn the midnight oil to make life easier for us). Perhaps we are still researching it all in our own manner through these discussions and through our own practice in our regular clinical encounters with our patients
( synchronously or asynchronously).