Well, it appears I clicked send before the reminder of what is in the Declaration of Helsinki (thanks Trish!). Patricia, I wonder if you wish to comment on how that squares with trainee human subjects research? It seems quite clear and doesn't make exceptions.
Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:03:39
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: unpublished research - is it ethical

I offer a clarification. While it is true that an ethics committee could require trial registration, trial registration generally occurs because of other reasons like drug approval agency requirements and journal editor requirements. Human subjects regulations and principles don't specify registration.

Perhaps more importantly, although some registries allow registration of observational studies, it is usually the case that a requirement for registration is limited to trials and not the vast amount of other human research.  So in the end it is incumbent on the investigator to disseminate their work in some way or another, to at least make it available.

Best
Rich Saitz