From: Patricia Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 07:39:54
To: Richard Saitz<[log in to unmask]>
Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: unpublished research - is it ethical

Dear all

I completely disagree with the last writer. Our approach should be
proportionate and take a measured approach to thinking about research.

Student research is undertaken the world over with little expectation that
the results will reach the publiv domain. The benefit is to the community of
researchers or practitioners through the education of the next generation.

This decision should consider the actual risk posed by the research. An
awful lot of research poses no geater risk than the time taken to
participate. Any research restricted to interviews, questionnaires or case
review for example. So we should be comfortable with residents undertaking
such low risk research as part of their learning. This balance would change
if the risks were greater e.g. If treatment decisions were to be altered.

Best wishes

Patricia