I used the video, along with the Slough WEA video in my class today and it prompted a relaly good discussion with follow-up writing. Thank you for this.

Judith
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Kirsh, Judith Susan
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: Report back from Hackney Action for ESOL's Save ESOL Day

It looked fantastic – well done, Alice!

Judith

From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alice Robson
Sent: 15 March 2011 21:12
To: [log in to unmask]

As I joined colleagues and a few of our ESOL students in London Fields on Sunday morning in the drizzle and attempted to assemble a gazebo with sellotape, I don't think I was the only one questioning whether or not organising Save ESOL Day in a park in March was a good idea.

But as the afternoon arrived, the rain was in abeyance, and people started arriving. Our students arrived with their families, friends and loads of food, and ESOL students and teachers from other institutions in Hackney came too. The turnout was amazing - there must have been 300 people there throughout the day, the vast majority female ESOL students and their children. There was a feeling of celebration, with balloons, face painting, story telling, and of course food, but also a clear sense of why we were there as students made banners and musical instruments to take on the march, practised their chants, had their testimonies recorded on camera, signed the Action for ESOL petition and wrote messages on their balloons about the importance of ESOL.

The march to the town hall was incredible - I received an email afterwards from a friend who said that she had 'never seen before such a diverse colourful joyful but angry march against the cuts' and I think that just about sums it up. When we arrived at the town hall, we heard from four students about their views on the funding changes: they eloquently and powerfully spoke about the impact the cuts would have.

All in all a fantastic day, which only underlined how much will be lost if these changes go ahead.

For those on Facebook, there are pictures on our 'Hackney Action for ESOL  - Save ESOL Day' page. We managed to get a (short) article in the Evening Standard on Friday (no web link that I can find unfortunately). The day was covered extensively in the Hackney Post - http://hackneypost.co.uk  - there's a video of the march and the comment piece is also about ESOL cuts. We hope there will be a piece in this week's Hackney Gazette too.

Email has been scanned for spam and viruses by Altman Technologies' email management service

Any queries regarding LSBU Email should be sent to [log in to unmask] or you can check our web site at www.lsbu.ac.uk/ict/email/ for up to date information about this service.

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]

Email has been scanned for spam and viruses by Altman Technologies' email management service

The LSBU communications disclaimer can be found at http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/ict/legal/