I've been teaching on a JCP programme for the last three years and resent the claim that people on such courses 'make no progress'. In an ideal world, every learner would have access to a year long programme in a well resourced and well staffed college but the world of ESOL is far from an ideal one.

I am certain many of my students over the past three years have indeed made progress, and many have used the JCP programme as a springboard to go on and attend a course at a 'proper' college. There have undoubtedly been many difficulties with the programme (such as roll on/roll off enrollment and the JCP referring palpably unsuitable learners) but the professionalism and dedication of myself and my colleagues has ensured that the experience has been far from a wasted one for the majority of our learners.

Matt Wilson

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:27:02 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ESOL as a barrier/enabler to employment
To: [log in to unmask]

I would confirm that students sent to JCP courses make no progress. I have heard they just use the entry 2 skills for life materials straight. I have had people who are just learning to read and write for the first time taken out to go to these courses in town, and then they come back a year later no further forward having lost valuable time.

Ann

Ann Macdonald
Newcastle ESOL Service
(0191) 2986960