For Interested parties: the next NICOLE workshop…..

Operating windows for site characterisation

NICOLE Network meeting on 25-27 May 2011

Venue: Kulturhuset, Islands Brygge 18, 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark

Preliminary program

The NICOLE Workshop on 25-27 May 2011 will look into the subject of Innovative Site Characterisation tools, and update us on where they can provide value in the management of contaminated sites. We have all heard anecdotally, or may have tried some of the myriad of new techniques and approaches being proposed around the industry. From forensics using isotopes and DNA, to new drilling methods and microbes - the range of options on offer may seem confusing. From the ongoing work with the Soil Directive it is evident that some sort of baseline and monitoring will be needed in the future and we find ourselves facing other new pieces of legislation such as the Industrial Emissions Directive (IED) which may also have potentially onerous baseline monitoring requirements. As such, our thoughts turn to the tools and methods we have for investigation, and thought it was time to update ourselves with a state of the art review… This workshop aims to draw us away from the marketing literature and technique sellers, and via a walk through the site conceptual model, explore and contextualise techniques appropriateness – for example:

 What technical conditions does it operate under – for example under what lithological or hydrogeological conditions can it actually operate and what are its limitations and

ranges?

 In what circumstances will it add value - so for example is it only really warranted in a detailed compliance defence, or will it help to speed up development or remediation?

A programme of invited speakers will review the current and recent techniques and possibilities for site investigations such as drilling, sampling, in situ measurement and analysis for liquid, solid or gaseous contaminant  in the subsurface. Moreover tracer tests, geophysics and last but not least plants as a pollutant diagnostic tool will be addressed. An entire days session is devoted to the development of advanced diagnostic techniques looking at forensics, DNA, isotopes, microbes, pharmaceuticals, and exploring some of the challenges in the analysis and the applicability both in

corporate compliance work, and in remediation. The speakers will explore what are the operating windows of the current and developing methods. We ask our invited speakers to present case studies also, showing where techniques are useful, applicable, appropriate and value for money.

THE WINNER OF THE NICOLE TECHNOLOGY AWARD WILL ALSO BE ANNOUNCED…..

further details available on www.nicole.org