Dear Henry,

This one is actually correct, I think. pyroglutamic acid has an internal
amide, and the only reactive group is the acid group. When that is
involved in a link (as it is, for 'start') there is nothing left to
protonate or deprotonate.

Yours,

Rasmus

Dr. Rasmus H. Fogh                  Email: [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge,
80 Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1GA, UK.     FAX (01223)766002