I don't have strong preference either way, but if one has good density for backbone and no density for a corresponding side-chain, would it be reasonable to believe that the side-chain might actually exists and that it has no visible density at a certain contour level might be because it was moving around (or static disorder)? And if B-factor is an estimate of thermo-motion (or static disorder), then would it not be reasonable to accept that building the side-chain and let B-factor sky rocket might reflect reality more so than not building it?

Cheers,
Quyen
Quyen Hoang, Ph.D
Assistant Professor
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
Stark Neurosciences Research Institute
Indiana University School of Medicine
635 Barnhill Drive, Room MS0013D
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202-5122