For myself, I decide on the high resolution cutoff by looking at the
Rsym vs resolution curve. The curve rises, and for all data sets I have
processed (so far) there is a break in the curve and the curve shoots
up. To near vertical. This "inflexion point" is where I decide to place
the high resolution cutoff, I never look at the I/sigma(I) values nor at
the Rsym in the high resolution shell.

As a reviewer, when I have to evaluate a manuscript where very high Rsym
values are quoted, I have no way of knowing how the high resolution
cutoff was set. So I simply suggest to the authors to double check this
cutoff, in order to ensure that the high resolution limit really
corresponds to high resolution data and not to noise. But I certainly do
not make statements such as this one.

I have seen cases where, using this "rule" to decide on the high
resolution limit, the Rsym in the high resolution bin is well below 50%
and cases where it is much higher. Like 65%, 70% (0.65, 0.7 if you
prefer). So, in my opinion, there is no "fixed rule" as to what the
acceptable Rsym value in the highest resolution shell should be.

Fred.