You do also have always to consider why you are doing this calculation -
usually to satisfy a sceptical and possibly ill-informed referee. A major
reason for doing this is to justify including an outer resolution shell of
data (see this BB passim), and for this I have come to prefer the random
half-dataset correlation coefficient in shells. A CC has a more
straightforward distribution than an R-factor (though not entirely without
problems). It is independent of the SD estimates, and easy to understand.

Phil