Dear All,

spotted a mistake in my response, please see the correction below (in
bold):

There are a host of caveats in this procedure. For example, if the
images contains significant diffuse scatter around the Bragg spots,
the BGRATIO may be above 1.0 ... this is probably the commonest
effect, but does not mean the gain is wrong. If for any reason the
mask definition (defining the boundary between background and spot)
has not worked correctly so the spot extends into the background, this
will also give a BGRATIO of GREATER THAN one (in this case, the
BGRATIO will tend to be close to 1.0 for weak spots but greater than
1.0 for strong ones). The boundary is controlled by the "Profile
tolerance" parameters, which are sometimes set artificially high to
help process images where the spots are not fully resolved.

Andrew