    While what you say here is quite true and is useful for us to
remember, your list is quite short.  I can add another

3) The systematic error introduced by assuming full occupancy for all sites.

There are, of course, many other factors that we don't account for
that our refinement programs tend to dump into the B factors.

    The definition of that number in the PDB file, as listed in the mmCIF
dictionary, only includes your first factor --

http://mmcif.rcsb.org/dictionaries/mmcif_std.dic/Items/_atom_site.B_iso_or_equiv.html

and these numbers are routinely interpreted as though that definition is
the law.  Certainly the whole basis of TLS refinement is that the B factors
are really Atomic Displacement Parameters.   In addition the stereochemical
restraints on B factors are derived from the assumption that these parameters
are ADPs.  Convoluting all these other factors with the ADPs causes serious
problems for those who analyze B factors as measures of motion.

    The fact that current refinement programs mix all these factors with the
ADP for an atom to produce a vaguely defined "B factor" should be considered
a flaw to be corrected and not an opportunity to pile even more factors into
this field in the PDB file.

Dale Tronrud

On 3/31/2011 9:06 AM, Zbyszek Otwinowski wrote:
> The B-factor in crystallography represents the convolution (sum) of two
> types of uncertainties about the atom (electron cloud) position:
>
> 1) dispersion of atom positions in crystal lattice
> 2) uncertainty of the experimenter's knowledge  about the atom position.
>
> In general, uncertainty needs not to be described by Gaussian function.
> However, communicating uncertainty using the second moment of its
> distribution is a widely accepted practice, with frequently implied
> meaning that it corresponds to a Gaussian probability function. B-factor
> is simply a scaled (by 8 times pi squared) second moment of uncertainty
> distribution.
>
> In the previous, long thread, confusion was generated by the additional
> assumption that B-factor also corresponds to a Gaussian probability
> distribution and not just to a second moment of any probability
> distribution. Crystallographic literature often implies the Gaussian
> shape, so there is some justification for such an interpretation, where
> the more complex probability distribution is represented by the sum of
> displaced Gaussians, where the area under each Gaussian component
> corresponds to the occupancy of an alternative conformation.
>
> For data with a typical resolution for macromolecular crystallography,
> such multi-Gaussian description of the atom position's uncertainty is not
> practical, as it would lead to instability in the refinement and/or
> overfitting. Due to this, a simplified description of the atom's position
> uncertainty by just the second moment of probability distribution is the
> right approach. For this reason, the PDB format is highly suitable for the
> description of positional uncertainties,  the only difference with other
> fields being the unusual form of squaring and then scaling up the standard
> uncertainty. As this calculation can be easily inverted, there is no loss
> of information. However, in teaching one should probably stress more this
> unusual form of presenting the standard deviation.
>
> A separate issue is the use of restraints on B-factor values, a subject
> that probably needs a longer discussion.
>
> With respect to the previous thread, representing poorly-ordered (so
> called 'disordered') side chains by the most likely conformer with
> appropriately high B-factors is fully justifiable, and currently is
> probably the best solution to a difficult problem.
>
> Zbyszek Otwinowski

>>> But this "knowledge" may be quite wrong.  If the flaming red really
>>> indicates
>>> large vibrational motion then yes, one whould not bet on stable H-bonds.
>>> But if the flaming red indicates that a well-ordered sidechain was
>>> incorrectly
>>> modeled at full occupancy when in fact it is only present at
>>> half-occupancy
>>> then no, the H-bond could be strong but only present in that
>>> half-occupancy
>>> conformation.  One presumes that the other half-occupancy location