I don't have strong preference either way, but if one has good density
for backbone and no density for a corresponding side-chain, would it
be reasonable to believe that the side-chain might actually exists and
that it has no visible density at a certain contour level might be
because it was moving around (or static disorder)? And if B-factor is
an estimate of thermo-motion (or static disorder), then would it not
be reasonable to accept that building the side-chain and let B-factor
sky rocket might reflect reality more so than not building it?

Cheers,
Quyen
_______________________________
Quyen Hoang, Ph.D
Assistant Professor
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
Stark Neurosciences Research Institute
Indiana University School of Medicine
635 Barnhill Drive, Room MS0013D
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202-5122