On Thursday, March 03, 2011 05:10:02 am Judith Reeks wrote:
> Dear Eleanor,
>
> I don't think that was the case. I add "tlsd waters exclude" to a
> refinement which as I understand it should prevent that. Also, I checked
> the output files and the TLS groups only involve my protein, waters and
> ligands aren't included anywhere. I can't explain why my TLS restraints
> were giving me problems.

Without looking at your files I can't be certain, but....

The usual problem is that refmac applies clipping limits to B factors.
In the absence of TLS, this means that the minimum allowed B is
(by default) 2.0 and the maximum is (I think) 200.   So far. so good.
But in the presence of a TLS model,  these same clipping limits are applied
to the _incremental_ Biso values, and that's just wrong.  I.e., if the
current set of TLS parameters over-estimates B for some particular
atom, the density gradient will try to drive the incremental B value
for that atom negative to compensate.  But the program doesn't let
that happen.  The result is that the incremental B values bottom out at 2.0
and the refinement goes pear-shaped.

I think the simplest fix for this would be to have refmac detect that
it has happened and modify the current TLS parameters to shift all
the predicted B values downward.  That way the required incremental
Biso become >0 and the problem is avoided.
An alternative, but more difficult to implement, fix would be to let the
incremental B values go negative.

The paired *.pdb and *.tlsin files output by the TLSMD server specifically
avoid this problem:  the TLS parameters are chosen such that the
incremental B values required to best reproduce your input model are
always positive.   But as you continue refinement this criteria may
gradually be lost, and as noted above refmac doesn't currently detect
or fix this for you.

	Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg