Dear Mark,

I am always using mencoder with Windows and it has so far always worked fine for me.
I didn't need to install anything, normally I just copy the mencoder.exe file to the directory with my png frames.
Then, I use the following command line in a DOS  command window:

c:\my_path\mencoder mf://*.png -mf fps=25:type=png -ovc lavc -ni -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2:vbitrate=10000000:vhq -nosound -o  MyVideo.avi

Hope this helps.
Maike