I recently found that my resoundingly clod-English surname is also ranked as Scottish and (via Ulster) Irish. I'm awaiting Welsh research eagerly.

David Ap O' Mac Bircumshaw

On 15 March 2011 12:14, Peter Riley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
This is all very encouraging, but it's also quite a strange announcement. The interest in "innovative" techniques seems to be greater than the interest in Irishness. Indeed I've never before seen a declaration from Ireland which dismissed national Irishness as "provincial". Of what can it be a province but Britain? The subject categories are so broad that they could be interpreted as "almost any poetry we like", and the list of possible poet-subjects confirms this by the fairly random inclusion of three English poets. Tom Raworth does particularly well for this sort of thing, having been previously included in a conference on women's poetry. John James was in a Welsh thing last year. Well good luck to them, I don't know how they do it. The anomalies thrown up by a poetry world split into two are endlessly entertaining.

PR