Hi John,

A while back there was an interesting discussion about student numbers planning software on this list, to which quite a few people contributed. The thread can be found on the JISC archives for February 2009. The name of the thread was “a database for planning student numbers”. From the responses, it seemed that by far the most popular method of student numbers planning was Excel, but there were also a few Universities using Cognos Planning, and a few using bespoke databases. We’re going through the process of getting Cognos Planning at the moment for student, staff and resource planning, but we’re quite early on so I don’t really have any useful experiences I can share with you yet.

Kind regards,

Mat

From: Academic, financial or space planning in UK universities [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Walter, John
Sent: 04 March 2011 16:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Academic Planning Software

Dear Colleagues,

I am sure that this is a perennial question for the planning mail base. Aston is looking to develop a system to manage the academic planning process which does not rely of increasingly complex excel spreadsheets and workbooks that are inefficient and difficult to maintain.

We want a system to interface with our student records system (SITS) and our finance system (AGRESSO)  so that it can be used for student number planning and calculating income – we currently use Business Objects for reporting. We are mindful of the fact that the planning process is going to become even more challenging with the new fee regime and the impetus for more flexible programmes.

Is there anyone out there who feels that their institution has developed /implemented a robust and efficient planning  system which you could recommend to us. We would really appreciate any advice from colleagues who have been through this process recently.

Best wishes

John

John Walter,

Academic Registrar

cid:image001.jpg@01CB6A0A.79C2AE10

Birmingham,

B4 7ET

Telephone: 0121 2044869      e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

University of Cumbria is a Company Limited by Guarantee, Registered in England & Wales No. 06033238 Registered Office: University of Cumbria, Fusehill Street, Carlisle, CA1 2HH. Telephone 01228 616234.

Confidentiality: This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email and highlight the error.

Security Warning: Please note that this email has been created in the knowledge that Internet email is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when emailing us.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.