We routinely report eGFR on all requests for plasma creatinine from primary care on patients 16y or older. We don't on any others.

The question comes up sometimes in relation to drug dosages for inpatients. I'm sure that some of our clinicians use online calculators. I don't have a problem with that as long as it's a reputable site, and it does have the advantage of being able to use mass, height etc which aren't available for the laboratory-based calculation.

Jonathan

PS:
http://www.ncepod.org.uk/2009aki.htm

On 17 Mar 2011, at 10:41, Patel Bharat (RWG) West Hertfordshire TR wrote:

> Are there any labs reporting eGFR for inpatients?
>
> BNF does mention eGRF to adjust dosage on eGFR.
>
> At the moment we do not report eGFR for inpatients for well known reasons but a number of our drs are calculating (from the NET)  eGFR for their inpatients!
>
> Would it better for health safety reasons to provide eGFRs for inpatients as it would be more ‘accurate’?
>

> Many thanks
>
> Bharat

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk