Dear all

I want to remind you that the call for papers for the Durham conference is approaching fast.
The topic of the conference is "Ritual Knowledge". We want to discuss the question what kind of knowledge or forms of knowing associate with ritual action.

Keynote speakers are
Professor Armin Geertz, Aarhus University, Denmark: “New approaches to the cognitive science of religious ritual”.
Prof Loyal Rue- Luther College, Iowa, USA. “Rite Makes Right”.
Prof Seth Kunin Durham Pro-Vice Chancellor for Arts and Humanities. “The Telling of Ritual”.

The theme of ritual has long played a part in Religious Studies and allied disciplines, and has taken a variety of new turns in recent years in relation to cognitive, evolutionary, embodiment, emotions, and other studies. Accordingly, this conference invites papers dealing with a spectrum of interest, whether theoretical, descriptive and participatory in papers that might deal with, anthropological-sociological, architectural, artistic, gendered, historical, literary-textual, musical, psychological, philosophical or theological approaches to ritual whether that of traditional ‘religious’ or more ‘secular’ forms of rite. Some might want to question the ‘ritual’ category itself, along with the designations 'religious' or ‘secular’ that frequently qualify it.

From the walking of pilgrimage to the sonority of bells; from pressing cremator buttons to the willowy shrouds of natural burial by priest or civil celebrant; From Eucharistic eating to Charismatic speaking; from the Coronation and Royal Weddings to Soap opera birthday parties ritual knowing arises.

Doubtless you will also have your own ideas and suggestions to offer.

If you are interested in coming, please send your abstract  by April 2nd 2011 to [log in to unmask].

Bursaries for PG students are also available. Please contact me for further information.

Booking form and more are also available via the website of the BASR:  www.basr.ac.uk/conference.htm