Greetings!

>> Mary Greer mentions this as well... maybe she got it from Ithell.
>
>I think its an urban legend that certainly is mentioned in IC - perhaps
>as a surrealist act -

I wonder if we are touching upon something important and elusive here.
The Golden Dawn, as with other magical orders, was born out of a
flexible relationship with reality; its precursors and offshoots
operated similar flexible relationships. That is why the Order existed
and is what makes it interesting. There will be a heady mix of
imagination and truth, and small acts might acquire impressive
resonances.

I find the notion that the story has a kernel of truth very plausible.
However, it might be that Wallis Budge was totally unaware that an
informal  private viewing of some Egyptian relics had such significance
for his guests, nor that their imagination, thrilled by the encounter,
should have such potency that people are still talking about it over 100
years later. Personally, I find that scenario more likely than Ithell
Colquhoun inventing it.

I do not have the books to hand - but seem to remember that the
particular room was identified, being through a door off the main
staircase, about halfway up.

My best wishes

Ben
--

Ben Fernee
Caduceus Books

Private premises, visitors welcome by appointment

Telephone 01455 250542 (+44 1455 250542 from abroad)
Fax       0872 115 6287 (+44 872 115 6287 from abroad)
Skype     ben.fernee.caduceus

Web page:-  http://www.caduceusbooks.com