SEEKING CO-INVESTIGATOR - AHRC APPLICATION

I am an artist-filmmaker and lecturer at the Moving Image Studio, Royal College of Art, London.

I am preparing to submit an AHRC Research Grant application as Principal Investigator. I am now seeking to attach a Co-Investigator to the project. The envisaged outcome of the research is principally a feature film / long-form film work.

Ideally, the Co-Investigator would be a screenwriter and academic within a HEI. I would see the Co-Investigator as collaborating with myself on the project screenplay (as co-writer, script editor, or mentor) and the Co-Investigator would ideally generate an output/entity of their own as part of the research.

My work has previously attracted regular research funding (including AHRC) and I am looking to build on this success in order to move into feature / long-form work with a major application to AHRC. The bid would be approximately £250,000. The application process is being supported by the RCA's Research Office and Head of Research.

Project Title: 'How To Arrange a Funeral'

Resarch Aims / Questions:

What happens when the monologue form is sustained across the space of a feature film?

What happens when a monologue screenplay is embedded within the standardised genre of the road movie?

Can this mode of screenwriting contribute to a re-conceptualisation of industrial genre?

The project aims to advance the discipline of the contemporary screenplay and present a significant outcome in the form of an ambitious fiction film.

Teaching Background: I have held a 0.5 academic post at the Royal College of Art since 2004. I work with MA and Research students using moving image in the RCA's Fine Art School, and I currently direct the RCA's Moving Image Studio, a new purpose-designed centre for film and video that I established in 2009.

My films could be described as 'recurrent fiction'. Screenwriting is a central part of my work, through which I ask questions about deception, power and temptation; my textual methodologies have recently encompassed circularity, apocrypha and the monologue form. I show my work continuously and have exhibited in over 25 countries to date.

I would be very interested in hearing from individuals who are interested in discussing this project further. I am London-based.

Please see my contact details below.

With best regards,

Stuart Croft

---------------------------