Hi Jackie

I have to say, I would push back a little on the way you describe your task!
 Seeking studies that support the validity of a treatment does not suggest
an academic open mind on this!  If we are to continually improve the quality
of treatment services we need to be able to take a hard look at the evidence
and see how this evolves over time  - even if this runs counter to our
pre-existing expectations and preferences.

There was a surge of interest in auricular acupuncture about 20 years ago
and it has been very popular in the field.  Of course, when it all started
there was very little evidence because there was little research. Over the
years a number of studies has slowly built up - but my understanding of
these is that when taken as a whole, there is no substantive evidence it
actually does any good.  There have, for example been studies randomly
assigning clients to get 'real' NADA protocol treatment or one with 'fake'
points - with no differences between the two groups.

I certainly don't claim to know all the research and could not quote it, but
amongst the substance misuse research community in the UK my impression is
that the consensus is that the better studies have shown no evidence of
therapeutic effect.  Others might remember better, but I *think* one of the
NICE reviews considered auricular acupuncuncture - if you can track this
down you will see an incredibly thorough evaluation of available research.

For a period, many UK commissioners took the view that there was little
evidence this treatment made a difference, but felt that if clients reported
it useful it might increase 'stickiness' of services.  My impression is that
even this level of interest has wained and though still used it no longer
has momentum.

To declare my own interest, I trained in NADA protocol in roughly 1995 and
had 15 or so key workers I was managing trained up as well - we thought it
worked but I have to say I now think we were wrong.  There are so many
interventions available that have a robust evidence base, I question why we
would spend money, staff time and indeed client time on something with such
a weak evidence base!

My 2 1/2 pence worth..!

Richard Phillips