This is the exciting programme for the Teacher-as-Researcher SIG for AERA 8-12 April - how about we invite some of these presenters to lead e-seminars for us on our JISClist?

Sarah

*_Teacher-as-Researcher SIG_*

*_2011 AERA Annual Meeting Program_*

*_New Orleans, LA April 8 -- 12, 2011_*

Dear Teacher-as-Researcher SIG Members,

On behalf of the Teacher-as-Researcher (TAR) SIG Officers, I am happy to announce our exciting slate of sessions for the upcoming 2011 AERA Annual Meeting in New Orleans.

We have 7 sessions -- all planned for Saturday, April 9^th . All sessions are in the same building so Saturday might challenge our endurance a bit, but it really is helpful to have us all in a concentrated geographic region so that we don't get lost when going from session to session. It's also good to have all of our sessions on Saturday so that the working PreK-12 teachers and school-based professionals, who are at the center of our mission, can attend.

I want to extend a personal "Thank you" to TAR-SIG Program Chair, Sharon Ornelas, for her work in constructing this year's program. Even a medium-sized SIG has a lot of program work to do in the months when many of us are vacationing. I also want to thank Nathaniel Weber, Stacia Stribling, Mery Klehr and anyone else who has volunteered their time to assist in this year's program work. Your hard work seems to have paid off in a wonderful slate of events!

We will be doing some special outreach to New Orleans-area schools and teachers in the hope of increasing their attendance and participation. I believe that AERA's Communication and Outreach Committee still has a "One-day Pass" program for local area professionals who might not ordinarily attend AERA. Information about this will be distributed in a separate email.

Below is a list of our sessions, which are also available through the AERA Annual Meeting website. WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING ALL OF YOU AT MANY OF THESE EVENTS!   (If you wish to see abstracts of each session, please visit AERA's on-line program information website)

*_THE PROGRAM_*

*EVENT 1:*

The TEACHER-AS-RESEARCHER RECEPTION and BUSINESS MEETING

FEATURING *MARILYN COCHRAN-SMITH and SUSAN LYTLE*

Saturday April 9 6:15 -- 7:45 pm

New Orleans Marriott -- Mardi Gras Salon C

Participants: Marilyn Cochran-Smith and Susan Lytle

Chair: Alan Amtzis

Organizer: Sharon Cormany Ornelas

Please join us for an event that will include an interactive discussion about current issues in teacher research led by the authors of "Inquiry as Stance" and "Inside/Outside," two books that prominently feature the history, politics, philosophy and practice of teacher research. Teacher researchers are invited to pose questions about current and future research and the role of teacher research in the current educational climate. The evening will also include time for social networking and a TAR-SIG business meeting about current SIG-related issues.

*EVENT 2:*

TEACHER RESEARCH: CRITICAL LITERACY AND TEACHER

Saturday, April 9 8:15am -- 9:45am

Sheraton -- Grand Ballroom D

Participants: Minaxi Odedra, Emily Parker and Marsha R. Pincus

Chair: Stacia M. Stribling

Organizer: Sharon Cormany Ornelas

*EVENT 3:*

TEACHER RESEARCH: INTERROGATING INQUIRY AND "BEST PRACTICES' IN K-12 SETTINGS

Saturday, April 9 10:35am -- 12:05pm

New Orleans Marriott -- Mardi Gras Salon C

Participants: Sarah Sugarman, Julie Warner, Kelly Boland Hohne, Michelle Renee Zimmerman and Shelley Grant

Chair: Nathaniel Uriah Weber

Discussant: Julie Warner

Organizer: Sharon Cormany Ornelas

*EVENT 4:*

INQUIRY FOCUS ON EARLY CHILDHOOD MATH/SCIENCE EDUCATION: ENRICHING OUR IDENTITITES AS REFLECTIVE PROFESSIONALS

Saturday, April 9 12:25pm -- 1:55 pm

New Orleans Marriott -- Mardi Gras Salon C

Participants: Anna-Tobin Wallace, Erika Prado, Martha Melgoza, Nodelyn Abayan, Daniel Meier and Judith M. Kysh

Chair: Daniel Meier

Discussant: Mina Kim

Organizer: Daniel Meier

*EVENT 5:*

EMPOWERING TEACHERS THROUGH INQUIRY: HOW ONE RURAL SCHOOL ATTEMPTED TO DISRUPT THE STATUS

Saturday, April 9 2:15pm -- 3:45pm

New Orleans Marriott -- Mardi Gras Salon C

Participants: Wendy Carter, Bobbi Keinsley, Laura McDermott, Darlinia Rickert, Debbie Miles, Victoria Sauerheber and Regina Cory

Chair: Ryan Flessner

Discussant: Laura McDermott

Organizer: Ryan Flessner

*NOTE: Event 5 and Event 6 are simultaneous*

*EVENT 6*:

TEACHER RESEARCH: CRITICAL PEDAGOGY AND DEMOCRATIC CLASSROOM PRACTICES

Saturday, April 9 2:15pm -- 3:45pm

Sheraton -- Grand Ballroom D

Participants: Annie Adamian, Christopher C. Martell, Erin A. Hashimoto-Martell, Vanessa Rodriguez, Terrie Epstein, Ted Domers and Brain E. Shevory

Chair: Allen Cross

Organizer: Sharon Cormany Ornelas

*NOTE: Event 5 and Event 6 are simultaneous*

*EVENT 7:*

TEACHER RESEARCH: CONSTRUCTIVISM AND STUDENT-DIRECTED LEARNING

Saturday, April 9 4:05pm -- 5:35pm

Sheraton -- Grand Ballroom D

Participants: Amanda Humphreys, Winifred Hunsburger, Penelope A. Millar, Sandra Barnstead, Debbie Barrett, Sarah Muscato, Kathleen M. McCoy, Sarup Rani Mathur, Jenn Coughlin

Chair: Katherine Pistone

Organizer: Sharon Cormany Ornelas