Hi

Have enjoyed reading the discussion and as I contemplate taking on further study and maybe a Phd it is very useful.

Thank you

Ann Fitzpatrick

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 01:52:47 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Writing with an eye to publication - is writing a PhD thesis similar?
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Everyone

We are so fortunate to have a contributor in Dianne. Her clarity of thought and expression moves on every e-seminar she contributes to. In this case, as always, Dianne has hit the metaphorical nail on the head. I am sure I am not alone to say Thanks so much, Dianne.

Thinking about your task of writing a thesis - have you read these 2 publications, Dianne?

Rugg, G. and Petre, M. (2007) The Unwriten Rules of PhD Research, The Open University Press, maidenhead, UK - their chapter on reading critically is particularly worthy of note...

Murray, R. (2007) How to Write a Thesis, the Open University Press, Maidenhead, UK

My agenda for today? Completing a review of literature in the UK and US about coaching (for leadership) then assimilating highlighted quotes and critical engagement notes into a draft of my coaching overview for the SAGE Handbook. My challenge is to ensure that a balance between the reviews of other aspects of coaching in education does not become overshadowed by my current focus on 'leadership'. One of the most interesting aspects I have come across in preparing this manuscript is to trace where prevailing discourses in coaching originate and how they are perpetuated. Yesterday, for example, I noticed that research by Allan, P, suddenly appeared in a national review undertaken by the Teacher Development Agency. Tracing back his article to the International Journal for Evidence Based Coaching and mentoring I found he had indeed carried out research in coaching. However it was with just 4 teachers in his school and he stressed, very rightly, how the outcomes were a matter of subjective feedback. The TDA survey held up his work as a noteworthy example that was influencing regional and via this survey, a national policy enabling coaching for leadership. Looking at other citations (including to my co-research, however, I've never been involved in this area!) I reflected how publications can mislead,

Warm regards,

Sarah

Sarah Fletcher

Convenor for BERA Mentoring and Coaching SIG. Further details at http://www.bera.ac.uk