EGI-Inspire has 3.25 years funding left but EGI.eu has been created as a foundation in NL and isn't limited in time. The plan (hope?) is that successor projects and other big ESFRI projects will operate under this umbrella and so it will become sustainable.

Looks like it was agreed in Uppsala last spring (I wasn't there) and happened following EGI rejecting a bid by Italy to continue to manage the domain and a failover strategy.

I'm not defending this change, I don't agree with it, but it isn't as short-term as it might first appear. It is still probably short-term compared to Jeremy's timeline:-)

John