On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Malcolm J. Currie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I was also surprised it needed radians but I'm not sure whether it's
>> autoastrom that is requiring that.
>
> Indeed.  Autoastrom invokes ASTROM, which accepts sexagesismal format (cf.
> SUN/5).  Luca: are you sure that it's asking for radians not say decimal
> hours for right ascension and decimal degrees for declination? Tobias: did
> you try setting the plate centre in sexagesimal formats HH:MM:SS.S and
> [+-]DD:MM:SS?

According to SUN/242 (which you'll eventually get to by doing a
`perldoc autoastrom`) you'd find information about the --obsdata
option, which allows you to supply observational metadata such as RA
and Dec. Both RA and Dec can be given in colon-separated HMS/DMS or
decimal degrees.

I didn't change this from the original implementation of autoastrom as
it had to remain API-compatible so it would work with GAIA, and I'd be
very surprised if this had changed in the past year.

Cheers,
 Brad.