Dear Dr. Gaser,
Dear List,

at the moment I am unsure about whether correcting for total brain
volume (TIV) in
a VBM analysis of unmodulated gray matter segments (density) does make
sense or not.

On Dr. Gaser's homepage --- I have the feeling --- there are two
slightly opposite statements:
statement (a) (please refer below) clearly states that TIV should not be
used as a nuisacne factor with unmodulated data.

On the other hand, I read statement (b) (please see below) as correcting
unmodulated data for TIV gives me relative
density after correcting for TIV, which seems to make more sense to me.

Which procedure is the more valid one, or for which kind of question
would I use which procedure respectively?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Best regards,
Lucas Eggert

******************

STATEMENT (a):
http://dbm.neuro.uni-jena.de/vbm/vbm2-for-spm2/calculate-raw-volumes/

"The use of raw volumes as nuisance or globals is only recommended for
modulated data.
These data are corrected for size changes due to spatial normalization
and are thought
to be in raw (un-normalized) space. In contrast, un-modulated data are
yet corrected
for differences in size due to spatial normalization to a reference
brain and there
is no need to correct for these differences again."

STATEMENT (b):
http://dbm.neuro.uni-jena.de/vbm/segmentation/modulation/

        Interpretation

If we follow the commonly used terms "volume" for modulated data and
"density" (or concentration)
for unmodulated data and concentrate on GM there are many possible ways
to correct or not correct for different brain size:

*No modulation:*

*Correction * 	*Interpretation*
nothing 	relative density
globals 	"localised" relative density after correcting for total GM or
TIV (multiplicative effects)
AnCova 	"localised" relative density that can not be explained by total
GM or TIV (additive effects)

--
Lucas Eggert, M.Sc.
Institute of Cognitive Science