I can imagine one reason why goats would have been considered more dangerous
and less virtuous than sheep (and why Theocritus centers one of his
naughtier poems around a goatherder) based on Brad Kessler's book "Goat
Song" (Tom Ashbrook interviewed him about a year or so ago which is how I
heard about it: http://onpoint.wbur.org/2009/08/19/close-to-goats ). When
male goats go through their rutting season they apparently become
aggressively-obsessed with reproducing and start to smell famously terrible.
One would think observing this season after season might make a goatherder
get some ideas.

Best!
Tim

--