-----Original Message-----
From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development
Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Probyn, Paul
Sent: 18 February 2011 09:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: PhDs and Learning & Teaching

Given the recent discussion on this forum about the possible use of the
proportion of staff who are operating at UKPSF standard 2 or equivalent
as a PI in the information to be provided to prospective students, it
was interesting to read in this week's Times Higher the comments of the
Director General of the Russell Group:
"The vast majority of our academics have doctorates......academics
without a doctorate would be very much in a tiny minority.  This has
been the case at Russell Group universities for many years.  Providing a
first-class teaching and learning experience is vitally important to our
universities."
I'm aware of the considerable research conducted into research-informed
teaching, however defined, but this is the first time I have seen the
research-led universities proposing that the quality of teaching and
learning is directly correlated with the proportion of staff holding a
PhD.  Is anyone aware of any research that underpins this contention?

Thanks.

Paul Probyn