Hi Samantha,

I am pleased that your preference is NOT to adopt an "archive-all" approach. Organisations rarely employ such a policy for records in other formats so why go down this route for emails. Imagine the scenario.... "Let's archive everything that comes through the post in yellow envelopes".

In terms of what other organisations do, I have worked with several that follow the approach you suggest. They have a policy of automatically deleting emails that are located in a user's Inbox or other mail folders longer than a defined period of time. The most common time period I see is 90 days. A user therefore has 90 days within which to either delete the email himself/herself or to file the email in the relevant document management system. A server-end process runs every night deleting emails that are older than 90 days.

Those organisations that follow this approach usually also adopt related policies to prevent the creation of Outlook PST files, local storage etc. This prevents users from avoiding the email retention rules simply by storing them in unofficial locations.

Regards,
Eldin.

Eldin Rammell
Managing Director, RAMMELL Consulting Ltd