Thanks guys. I may well volunteer, although I am actually no longer an IRMS/RMS member due to the overwhelming focus on the public sector in recent years (and several of my industry colleagues are in the same boat). I’m sure the public-sector slant is not intentional and only reflects its membership but attending a regional meeting, for example, where the case studies and discussions are often not so relevant is not good use of time and money.

I will ponder over your response and those that I have also received off-list. Given that my colleagues and I are also members of our own industry-specific records management associations (e.g. Drug information Association, Scientific Archivists Group, GCP-RMA etc) – as I’m sure is common in other areas too – we would need to see benefit in also being part of a cross-sector association. I think this benefit would be more readily visible if the non-industry specific events (e.g. regional meetings, annual conference, bulletin) were deliberately less public sector focussed i.e. the question should be asked “Is this event/publication of relevance to the whole membership”? Not black-and-white, I know but I think you can see where I’m coming from.

Will think over the challenge and get back to you off-list!

Regards,

Eldin.

ps. if any pharma/biotech/life sciences members want to get in touch off-list to discuss this issue with me, please feel free. I’d be happier initiating a new industry-specific group if I had some cheery supporters!

Eldin Rammell, Rammell Consulting Ltd

http://www.rammell-consulting.co.uk

Tel: 08448 844926 (Rammell Consulting office) or 07940 859721 (mobile)

4 Knotts Avenue, Worcester, WR4 0HZ

Looking for secure GxP-compliant document storage? We can help! Click here

Skype: eldin.rammell