From: Barry Alpert <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, February 27, 2011 10:18:03 AM
Subject: Re: Jim Goldberg - photographer of the Mideast &

Thanks, Stephen.  B & W was more often on Borders' shelves than Color.  Now I'll
assume I'll have to access those mags on the shelves of local university
libraries.  As for in depth critical discussion of contemporary photographers, I
agree that I usually don't expect to find it within the covers of most
specialized photography magazines, but if I looked through the last 20 years of
Artforum . . .

Michael Fried's WHY PHOTOGRAPHY MATTERS AS ART AS NEVER BEFORE strikes me as
about as rigorous as one is going to find when it comes to critical treatment of
recent photography, including  the work of Jeff Wall, Hiroshi Sugimoto, Cindy
Sherman, Thomas Struth, Thomas Ruff, Andreas Gursky, Luc Delahaye, Rineke
Dijkstra, Patrick Faigenbaum, Roland Fischer, Thomas Demand, Candida Höfer, Beat
Streuli, Philip-Lorca diCorcia, Douglas Gordon and Philippe Parreno, James
Welling, and Bernd and Hilla Becher.  Not to mention that Fried has published a
number of volumes of poetry.

Barry

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:37:20 -0800, Stephen Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Thanks, Barry. "Color" is/was the name of the Magazine, and you read it
probably
>in its last real issue. For a couple of years I wrote regularly - actually big
>longish essays - for that magazine & its companion, Black & White magazines. In
>both I got to critically cover the careers of  a number of great contemporary
>photographers: the late Larry Sultan, Leo Rubenfien, Michael Light, Linda
>Connor, Joel Leivick among them.
>

>To save the essays from disappearing (no there is no website for the mag), I am
>working on getting them published as a book. Other than shortish show based
>reviews, I discovered it's really hard to find much in depth critical
discussion
>of contemporary photographers. Ironic in light of photography's 0 to 60 miles
>and hour ascendancy in the art market in the last 20 years.
>
>By the way one of your D.C. Museums - the ever fragile Corcoran - just provided
>SF MOMA with a great Muybridge show.
>

>Stephen V

Magnum
>>- has done some extraordinary work exploring and artfully documenting that
>>terrain of migrants that includes those who have been sex trafficked, or are
>>economic or political refugees from a radius that includes Russia, north
Africa