I've got a love-hate relationship with Ashbery. His excesses (no governor on the mind-flow) sometimes put me off.
As JA puts it here:

I don't look on poetry as closed works. I feel they're going on all the time in my head and I occasionally snip off a length.

—John Ashbery, London Times (23 Aug 1984)

Jill, I put your quote up on an idiosyncratic poetics quote site I'm building (ever so slowly) here...

http://conjecturesatrandom.blogspot.com/

(And if Rachel finds her quote, I'd like to have it to.)

Delurking on my day off,

Finnegan

End of POETRYETC Digest - 19 Feb 2011 to 20 Feb 2011 (#2011-47)