From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of G. Mauricio Mejia [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, 2 February 2011 12:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: generalizability of research through/by design

Dear list members,

I was reading Buchanan’s wicked problems in design thinking article and I had a conflict in my mind. He cites Rittel’s 10 properties of wicked problems and one is “Every wicked problem is unique”.

Making a connection to design by or through research. Some have suggested that design through research is the systematic inquiry while also solving wicked design problems (e.g. Forlizzi et al. 2009). I was wondering what the value of research by design is if the “generalizable knowledge” of a research by design might not be applicable to any other wicked design problems (since they are different).

In other words, what would be the goal of a research through/by design if the indeterminacy reduces possibilities to apply resulting knowledge to other problems?

If there is a goal, how to systematize and publish results?

I guess this is what he calls neoretic – new learning. But I’d like to know your thoughts about this.

Best,

G. Mauricio Mejía
http://mejia.disenovisual.com