From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Harold Nelson [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, 4 February 2011 5:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: generalizability of research through/by design

Dear Mauricio

I would like to offer a bit different perspective on Rittlel and the concept of Wicked problems. There are many opinions concerning the nature of wicked problems and I would like to add another. Out of the list of different problem types — tame (engineering), well formed (Simon), ill-structured (Simon), mess (Ackoff), wicked (Rittel) — wicked problems are not problems at all. However problem-based approaches to design are endemic in academia and the professions. In addition the term 'problem' is used in very off-hand ways that can be confusing without some distinctions as to what is actually being discussed. Scientific problems for instance are not the same as social problems.

For Rittel, wicked problems are not 'solved' or 'tamed'. They may be 'resolved' (thus Rittel's focus on argumentation (IBIS) or 'dissolved' by designing as exemplified by Ackoff's 'idealized design' approach. Rittel focused on 'judgments' as a means for making decisions in place of rational algorithms of scientific decision making (i.e there is no 'scientific' planning (design)).

Rittel pointed out that planners (he used the term planner interchangeably with designer) and concomitant stakeholders involved in a design project were uncomfortable with the idea of 'epistemic freedom" which is characteristic of design in that there are no 'true' solutions — only many possibilities and people are uncomfortable with so much freedom. He used the example of the idea of Sachzwang ("derive ought from fact" (German term)) as a means used to maintain 'clean hands' by cleaving to facts as the justification for action.

I would highly recommend Rittel's paper titled "The Reasoning of Designer" (Chapter 3.3. in 'The Universe of Design' edited by Jean-Pierre Protzen.) in addition to his seminal articles on Wicked Problems that are also made available in Protzen's book.

Regards

Harold Nelson
EMAIL ADDRESS FOR Harold Nelson: