I'd agree that it doesn't give us much directly and I'm trying to argue from a workload perspective as to what systems can do it easily (it'd be next to no time to get RDFa into Xpert for example) - however, also note that we still don't know how people search for OER.

It might seem crazy to have price zero for example, but "Free educational resource" strikes me as something people would search for a long time before they put in OER.

In adding RDFa, we are giving machines more information, and hopefully they can pass this onto their users / use it to facilitate better search results. If this takes next to no time then why not? If it takes an age this end up like a linked data discussion and I'll be off.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phil Barker
Sent: 07 February 2011 17:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Rich snippets for OER was Re: Discovering DC elements in HTML docs

On 07/02/2011 10:29, Andy Powell wrote:
> It would be interesting to think about how much ofhttp://blogs.cetis.ac.uk/lmc/2010/12/03/oer-2-technical-requirements/  can be carried in the RDFa vocabularies currently understood by Google. Probably quite a lot.
Yep, it would.

My first shot at working out which properties match (posted here so that
folk can tell me what I've got wrong).  I think Pat is right in
suggesting that an OER as a product is the best fit (though I'm not sure
it's a great one).

See https://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=146750

=Mandated Metadata=
Programme tag = Brand?
Project tag = Brand?
Title = name
Author / owner / contributor = seller?
Date =
URL = offerURL (but not on OER page itself)
Licence information [Use CC code] price=0

=Suggested Metadata=
Language =
Subject = category
Keywords = category?
Additonal tags = category?
Comments = a review
Description = description

According to the guidance from Google the Seller property can contain a
person or organization, so you could follow
https://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146646
to describe the Author/owner/contributor with a sort of RDF-ified vCard
(yeuch, vCards. I hate vCards)

I've tried all of that at http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/~philb/temp/gglSnip.html

You can see the result at on the Google rich snippet testing tool at
http://bit.ly/fZFveJ

(I'm not sure that I got the Person as Seller property bit right).

Thoughts? Myself, I'm not sure that it gives us much, though I guess
what is more important is what google does with what it gives them.

Phil

--

Please note new email address: [log in to unmask]

registered under charity number SC000278.