From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of sharon naylor
Sent: 22 February 2011 22:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] another dilemma.....

I have a case at the moment. Fairly senior employee (guy1)whose wife had
an affair with one of his colleagues (guy2) 5 yrs ago. He went sick
(stress) but came back to work. 5 yrs on the ex wife is now living with
the guy she had the affair with, the latter has now been promoted to a
higher position than guy No1.

problem is - we are losing staff hand over fist, operational
requirements mean that it may well be that on occasion Guy1 has to
report to guy2, highly undesirable but not many ways out of this from a
business perspective. Guy 1 has refused to work with Guy 2 on the basis
that he just....won`t. This created an operational issue two weeks ago.
Guy1 is now saying that requiring him to work with Guy2 is placing him
in a position where his health and well being is being compromised, he
is citing "stress", the fact that he is being placed in an untenable
position, that he is "under the Doctor" (that always makes me secretly
smile), that his managers must assure him that he wont have to deal with
him. I have every sympathy, but this is the workplace and our backs are
against the wall.

The following has been offered :- stress risk assessment, flexibility to
avoid the situation where possible but this wont always be the case,
meetings with both parties to set some ground rules, formal mediation,
input to help Guy 1 with his anxiety re the situation, covert warning to
Guy2 ( toe the line and behave - dont step out of line), redeployment
for guy1 (refused), regrading etc etc. He is now saying that he wont
engage with any of this - he just wants a formal arrangement where he
doesnt have to engage with his apparent nemesis, as this is now work
related stress and it is for the employer to sort it out. His Gp has
apparently offered to "come in" to speak to managers about his
predicament (unlikely?)

Today he has been told - there can be no guarantees that they wont have
to engage, the employer will try to be sensitive to his needs but he
needs to be professional at work and do what he is paid to do. Am I
missing something before it erupts?

******************************** Please remove this footer before
replying.

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: