Hi All

Fork Lift Truck screening is not a statutory requirement as has been said.  But it is best practice.  Guidance generally follows that for DVLA Class 2 drivers or HSG6.

Hope that helps.

Jane

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:17:02 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] FLT screening
To: [log in to unmask]

All
Our company screen all FLT drivers to check they are medically fit to drive a fork lift truck. This includes a questionnaire about their medical history, testing of eyesight, hearing, BP, Urine glucose and physical ability . We are moving to an out sourced OH service and the HR and H&S teams are questioning whether we should be responsible for paying for agency FLT screening. Their argument is that the agency should be proving that these people are medically fit for the role that they are being employed to do (FLT drivers are paid a higher rate than shop floors operatives). The agency have argued back that there is no legal requirement for an FLT driver to be screened. After trawling the HSE the company can only find guidance that says they should be medically fit and are arguing that how can you prove this without screening.

Any views??? ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying. OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html