In my organisation we have quarterly Oh meetings, and some kind people have also set up local groups to enable more convenient meetings. However - the quarterly meetings are in London, up to fairly recently we were all given time to attend and travelling to London was funded by the employer as this was considered essential for CPD purposes, and also as its a changing environment with politicalpressures etc so it was considered better in London to enable key people/speakers to attend. However - this situation has changed, colleagues have not been allowed time to attend in work time,  and if they do take leave to attend then they have to bear the costs of  the travel as it is considered "non - essential". In effect this means that unless they source supervision themselves ...............

I think that its easy to forget that many OHAs work in non clinical environments, private companies, manufacturing, local authority. With the financial cosh banging down repeatedly on employers heads and budget cuts aplenty, we may need to think outside the box

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:30:26 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Support?
To: [log in to unmask]

Clinical supervision for me is only if I can find another OH to discuss things with and no time in work hours is set aside for it. I work alone and have to find support myself....If you work for NHS or some contractors they may allow time for this. But I notice over the last 10years roles are being cut back 'in house' operations or being contracted out. My place has the same amount of employees and used to have 2 fulltime OHA'a and now I am it 22hours per week....I work in a remote area with only a handful of OHA's locally.
It is isolating and I think Sharon has a point. Supervision is fine in theory  but not always as easy in practice. I am part of the OH group locally but this is only quarterly meetings and normally have a set agenda. Sometimes its just nice to speak to soemone there and then and locally if possible... Maybe we could buddy each other more. I bagsey Sharon!