Hi Johannes

I accept the point about the importance of the score. This is important in
other practices as well, such as intermedia and systems based practice.

However, I think the viscerality of Schneemann and Ono's work is such that
the score is not the main thing. I saw the Abramowic show at MoMA. The
performance in the atrium was riveting. The reconstructions of earlier works
on the top floor, performed by others, offered interesting perspectives on
her (and Ulay's) earlier practice but as artworks failed. Having experienced
one of their original and best known works "in the flesh" (many years ago) I
could make a comparison. The reconstructions had no viscerality or sense of
danger at all. They were contrived tableau vivant "snaps" of something that
will never exist again - unless Marina and Ulay decide to get together and
do it all again; and then the question remains open as this could also come
across as just a shadow of the work. To date the video documentation remains
the best record of the works, but the tapes are only records and offer a
very partial sense of what they were like. They don't make your skin crawl,
they don't make you giggle or whimper whilst your face is an inch from that
of the artists, you can't smell what they ate for lunch.

I don't see how you can collect or preserve work like this. I also don't
understand why you would want to. Being of their moment was half their
impact, the other half being a function of the artist's own presence as
subject/object. I enjoy visiting Mr Bentham and saying hello to him whenever
I am at UCL but I don't mistake him for a living performing person - he is a
stuffed envelope, a puppet at best. Mr Bentham left the building long ago.

I hope that makes sense.

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs