Dear Melanie
I am rather concerned at the inbuilt assumption of the survey that there are
two groups to which warnings are delivered. Is this it? What about the way
that information, including warnings, is conveyed to the people, the media
and other ways to relate to society - for instance through community-based
disaster management groups (very strong in the Philippines and elsewhere).
It would be good to see a basic outline of the Volcanoscope project, to see
if it may reassure many of us that might think that it is setting out to
repeat some of the errors of DRR from the last 30 years (including my
anxiety that this approach repeats the "top-down" and hierarchical failures
of the past)... One of the lessons is that in many countries, emergency
planners may be relatively ineffective in making use of warnings, and are
often not embedded with people in the communities at risk. And that warnings
have huge problems embedded in them when they fail to take account of
people's attitudes to warnings, risk, evacuation, security etc. There is no
point delivering warnings where people do not trust the emergency planning
system, or do not want to hear the message that is being "delivered".

Which social science areas are involved in the project? I hope there are
anthropologists and development studies people...

good wishes

Terry Cannon
Climate Change and Development Group, IDS Sussex.